If you’re interested in researching your family history, HeritageQuest is a great place to start. Provided through NC LIVE, HeritageQuest delivers an essential collection of genealogical and historical sources that include:
- Census records: Find ancestors in the complete set of U.S. Federal Census images from 1790 – 194, including name indexes for many years.
- Books: Find information on people and places described in over 28,000 digitized family and local histories.
- PERSI (Periodical Source Index): Find information about people and places from this index of over 2.3 million genealogy and local history articles.
- Revolutionary War records: Search selected records from the Revolutionary War Era Pension & Bounty-Land Warrant Application files.
- Freedman’s Bank records: Search for individuals in Freedman’s Bank (1865-1874), which was founded to serve African Americans.
- U.S. Serial Set: Search the Memorials, Petitions, and Private Relief Actions of the U.S. Congress in the LexisNexis U.S. Serial Set.
To access HeritageQuest, visit the library’s website or go to www.nclive.org and look for the “Genealogy & Historical Maps” category. Click on the link for HeritageQuest below the heading. (You will be prompted to log in with your library card number.)
Need help getting started with your family history? Genealogy volunteers are available by appointment every Thursday from 9:00 am to noon, and from 1:00 to 3:00 pm. Call 919-545-8086 to make an appointment.