Book clubs throughout our community are now able to check out kits created just for them! Each kit will include ten copies of a specially selected title, along with discussion questions, author information, and suggestions for further reading, all contained in a sturdy zippered bag.
Fiction kits available now are:
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
- The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck
- The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen
- Persuasion by Jane Austen
Nonfiction kits available now are:
- Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J. D. Vance
- Lab Girl by Hope Jahren
- The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu and Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua Hammer
- Grandma Gatewood’s Walk by Ben Montgomery
- Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann
Upcoming titles to be included are:
- The Pearl that Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi
- The Invisibles: The Untold Story of African American Slaves in the White House by Jesse Holland
- The Last Ballad by Wiley Cash
- An Odyssey by Daniel Mendelsohn
- The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
- The Book of Joy by Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu
- Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan
- The Last Castle by Denise Kiernan
- Grace by Paul Lynch
Fiction and nonfiction titles are selected by the Chatham Community Library Book Club. After the club has discussed a book, a kit for checkout will be created.
Each kit will check out for six weeks to one library card holder who will be responsible to return the entire kit. Since most book clubs meet monthly, this gives time to pick up the kit, distribute the books to members at a meeting, discuss the book at the next meeting and collect the books, and return the kit to the library where it will be readied for another group to checkout.
Book club kits have long been available from most other library systems in our area. With generous support from the Friends of the Chatham Community Library, Chatham County is now able to offer this service.
To reserve a kit for your group, please send a message to cclbookclub (at) chathamlibraries.org or call the library at 919-545-8084.
We will gladly accept a book club kit donation from outside clubs. When your group is finished with a title, please consider donating ten copies to the library for other groups to borrow.